Baby choking due to Rambutan

Posted on

Choking occurs when a foreign object lodges in the throat or windpipe, blocking the flow of air. In adults, a piece of food often is the culprit. Young children often swallow small objects. Because choking cuts off oxygen to the brain, give first aid as quickly as possible.

Choking occurs when a piece of food, an object, or a liquid blocks the throat. Children often choke as a result of placing foreign objects into their mouths. Adults can choke from breathing in fumes or eating or drinking too rapidly.

Most people choke at some point in their lives. It’s usually short-lived and doesn’t pose any real danger. However, choking can be dangerous and cause life-threatening complications.

A person who’s choking may cough continuously until they expel the food or liquid from their throat or airway. However, in some cases, the object, food, or liquid gets stuck in the throat and cuts off the air supply.

Children usually choke from placing objects in their mouths. They normally do this out of curiosity. However, they may also choke when eating too quickly or when talking with food in their mouths.

Common objects that children choke on are:

  • popcorn
  • candy
  • pencil erasers
  • carrots
  • hot dogs
  • chewing gum
  • peanuts
  • cherry tomatoes
  • whole grapes
  • large pieces of fruit
  • large pieces of vegetables

Adults usually choke when swallowing food without chewing properly or when laughing while eating or drinking.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *